Wednesday, 14 April 2021

Two cases - week 11

One case about online censorship…

Online censorship is practised in every country in the world, such control, for example against paedophiliac pornographic contents or suicidal materials is not in contrast whit the values of a healthy democracy. When comes to online censorship on political matters you would expect it more from countries like Nord Korea or China, but that is not always the case… and today I’m pointing at you… Australia.

In the year 2006 Australian politics where still entrenched whit the political debate about the cursed war in Iraq, do not need to remember that Australia was a very active and loyal member of the “coalition of the willing” led by George W. Bush’s US, The back then Australian prime minister John Howard was under attack from the opposition and the general public about the decision of joining that war, which in the year 2006 was already evident to have been a very poor choice.

Richard Neville, an Australian futurist and social commentator made up a satiric web page, johnhowardpm.org, whit a fake apology from the prime mister about the Iraqi mistake, whit a layout somehow resembling Howard’s real website. The document reached 10,500 visits within 24 hours.

The spoof website was turned down by the web hosting company, Yahoo whit no notice. After request, it was told that decision has been made after a government “advice” to do so.

They used an accusation of fishing, due to the look of the page, to cover what in reality was an arbitrary and political act of censorship. 

 

…and one about privacy

This one is personal. Last year I took the questionable decision to go back to study, I got admitted at TalTech, an happy choice, and I started my journey in September a bit worry to failure, having no previous substantial experience as a computer scientist. Whith a lot of study, commitment, and a bit of luck I made my way until now, with great results, so great in fact my name got published on the institution’s official website in the Dean “Book of Honour”, so good so far, I have nothing to complain, but…

The publication of this list discloses a few personal information about me, that I’m studying, where I study, the specific course I’m taking and who are some of my classmates. None of the above information is present on my social network profiles, which is not a case, I wanted that way.

I wasn't asked if I wanted my name to be there, and I got only casually notified after the publication by a classmate. 

Privacy has to been handled carefully, also when is about “good things”, because all the data should belong to their owner and only to him.

 

SOURCES:

Government orders spoof site shut

https://www.smh.com.au/national/government-orders-spoof-site-shut-20060317-gdn6ag.html


THE BOOK OF HONOUR

https://taltech.ee/en/book-honour


No comments:

Post a Comment

In the blink of an eye - week 14

  Technology has many effects on human societies, among the bests, is that it “enables people”. It makes it possible to do something that be...